Sunday, November 2, 2008

Chase Von's Review of Universe, Disturbed

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars Chase Von's Review, 10 Stars If I could, Universe, Disturbed Is Disturbing!!!, October 29, 2008
By Chase von (California) - See all my reviews
Universe, Disturbed is a collection of poetic writings that certainly lives up to its title. Raw, gritty and angry in some places and soft and fine like silk laced with strychnine and resigned in others.

Perhaps the greatest need arguably that people have is to be loved and certainly running neck and neck with that is to be understood. A glimpse into a world so few wish to know intimately and so many of us have unfortunately walked it's depressive paths, is revealed in this collection of in your face memoirs. Although written primarily when the author was quite young, the pains endured are often displayed in an articulate manner far exceeding what one might think possible based on her earthly years. She is certainly reminiscent of both Plath and Sexton.

So many have taken the path which she so aptly writes about but few can capture the despair, the hurts, and the myriad of thoughts the way this promising and very talented writer has. It speaks honestly of the things we perhaps don't want to hear but it also does so in ways that compel the reader on further down into the depths of despair and in so doing, to greater understanding.

I've always felt that people that commit suicide or contemplate it often, really don't want to die, they just want the pain to stop. Having friends and family members who have unfortunately chosen this path, it gives me greater understanding of the phantoms they faced and the demons that plagued their very minds that I imagine they themselves, couldn't articulate so elegantly or as in this authors case at times, so bluntly.

RELASPE -- December 1998.

Wasting away, unblossomed flower
I lay flat, pressed on the bed
crushed by the sadness
invisible weight upon me
holding me down
the sun dropped below the horizon
on me
I lay here blind in darkness
When did I lose myself?
Get so small in a huge world?
So desolate I can't stand it.

Excerpt from Universe Disturbed by Janice Brabaw

I think there are unfortunately armies of young people now in this world that will relate to this. I also think there are a plethora of people out there who might be older but would gain so much understanding into the trials and tribulations faced by our youth. Particularly with the seemingly constant on going of breaking down morals that is rampant and the ever increasing pressure by the media, to propel children into adult situations and lives through fashion and materialism which is robbing them of what so few now get to have; Childhoods.

I think this is an important addition to great literature and also a portal of sorts for those who can't understand, to have a greater understanding of all those who quite frankly feel, either through peer pressure, rejection, or a medical society that seems increasing only capable of throwing pills at the symptoms instead of addressing the root causes of the actual problems.

If you're depressed because you're penniless, that's one thing. If your depressed because you're picked on, harassed or rejected and treated inhumanly by people you wish only loved you and accepted you, then how many are being shoveled pills to dampen the blow of a senselessly cruel world?

A world where if it bleeds it leads and there are wars and rumors of war and people are more accepted if they wear an in date fashion than they are if they actually have a brain. Not to mention the constant pressure to be like the ones that entertainment bombards us all with daily. Anorexic, bulimic, over weight? Kids have always been cruel but now how many of these things wouldn't exist if there was simply more kindness? That's not to discount the fact that many are truly suffering from mental illness, I myself have PTSD, but how many are cured when they don't have mental issues and they really have, this world can truly suck issues?

Fortunately this author has a voice and an outlet through writing and she excels at it. But for those with no outlet so to speak, I think this author represent the silent voices. Both of those who have moved on and hopefully, those who are currently at risk but with greater understanding, might be saved. Many simply by seeing, that someone feels perhaps exactly the same way, that they do.

Chase Von


Your Chance to Hear The Last Panther Speak

No comments: