I wanna try you out
slide you on
wiggle around
get comfortable
stretch you out
wear you down
break you in
but
I don't think you'll fit
I don't think it'll look right
I don't think it's what I want
In fact I know
but I wanna try anyway
I always do
I am too big
you are too small
I hate polyester
and you're allergic to wool
i know, i know, i know
that things like this
just don't work
with round pegs
and square holes
No
No I don't think so.
I twirl a lock of yours
around my finger
and I hate
oh my god how I hate
(love)
the way you look at me
in that after
the after where nothing
exists outside my
bedroom door
the night is endless
we are independently
wealthy
we are recklessly
abandoned
and other amazing
impossible
conditions
like being being
emotionally mature
adults
ready to fall in love
and stay that way
despite
loose threads
and gained pounds
yes, then things could be great
So I'll try you on
I'll invite your skin
and
every other heartbeat
I'll let you in
Then
tha-thump
right back out
It'll be fitting
It'll be a settling
It'll be a great find
A black Friday special
It'll be a dressing room
Squeeze
A breath
A zipper
Exhale
Hope it don't burst
Pray it don't split
Jesse
I told you jokingly
as you took my hand
that it snowed today
and it was somehow your fault
you laughed
said sure, blame it on me
but the truth is
as my tires slide in the slush
and as my windshield fogs
the snow here isn't the snow
of New York
and even without
mitten or boot or hat
I could stay
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment