As I write this I am lying on my bed in my rented apartment/motel room in Gloucester, Mass. I've been here for a week as of tomorrow morning and I seriously can't believe how fast these past few days have gone by. I'm so very very tired but I keep getting all these messages from people asking how I am and how things have been going that I felt I really should write.
I don't even know where to start. A week ago yesterday, I was hired to work on this movie Hatteras Hotel in Gloucester, Mass. It's about 30 miles north of Boston on Cape Ann, right on the water. I would love to tell you how beautiful is but I haven't really had a chance to see much! I arrived early afternoon last Tuesday (I was supposed to start Monday but I postponed so I could do Stained Glass Confessional at Stain with my AMAZING and talented friends -- it was SOOOO worth it!) after getting up at 6 am, cabbing it to Penn, taking the Acela into Boston, cabbing it from one end of Boston to the other, the taking a commuter train to Gloucester. I walked into my new production office and they handed me a wad of cash (per diem money), gave my keys to my new apartment (also comped), and keys to my ... yes.... CAR. Yes. So any of you who know me and my fear of driving you're going to find these next few paragraphs pretty darn interesting. :) I almost wish Moshe didn't hate my guts JUST so I could tell him how I've been driving around and conquered my fears. But anyway, I digress.
So I spend the day working and getting to know my new office-mates. Then 6 pm rolls around and I am soooooo tired I can barely think. Dragging my luggage out to the parking lot, I clutched my keys in one hand and a Google map in the other. I squeezed the key chain and the lights of a brand new silver Subaru winked at me. I got in and my jaw dropped. It's not fancy or anything and yes, I am easily impressed but I have a kick ass stereo, a turbo thingie, and a sun/moon roof (just what you need in New England in the fall haha). I then proceeded to shake as I was driving down the dark back roads from the office complex toward the roar of 128. I was so freaked out! And then came the rotary. I knew it was coming but it was dark and there was so much traffic and I was so tired and scared that I drove on and immediately drove off haha! I was supposed to go around to come around the other side of 128 to head north away from my office but just ended up heading further down 128 cursing and shaking to ANOTHER rotary where I proceeded to spin around that and missed my exit and ended up in a parking lot of Friendly's trembling and convinced I was never ever ever going to find my hotel. After a big meal and some cola, I called my friends, got some courage, and ventured out again. Only to get lost AGAIN. After somehow driving around in circles I found my way to 127 to my place. It's huge and beautiful and awesome!. Gigantic closet, big windows, sleeper sofa, desk, full kitchen, large bedroom, GIGANTIC bathroom. I park my car outside the door! NO 4th floor walk up! It's insane. ANd there's a huge grocery store/shopping center literally one minute form my house. I could walk it if I wasn't afraid of getting smacked out on the dark and sidewalk-less road. :)
So yeah, it's great. I found work easily the next day (and the drive through Dunkin Donuts next to my house) and then worked all day (the job is EASY and the people I work with are super nice) and got lost on my way home. The next day (Thursday) I actually made it home without getting lost and I was so excited I walked in my door, dropped my purse on the desk and said loudly, even though no one could hear, "honey I'm home! I fucking did it!" No more getting lost and feeling like a meth-addicted square dancer or some shit. Swinging my partner round and round and getting dizzy on the Gloucester rotaries!
And now I'm too tired to write more so tune in tomorrow :) I haven't even talked about my road trip or my book signing yet.....
Monday, November 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment