Thursday, June 4, 2009

leaving williamsburg

The bathtub drain has been pulled
I bent down with chipped nails, a girl
and raggled, bedroom-ravaged hair
Yanked the chain and consumed the swirl

things just ain't gonna be the way they used to be

All things considered
I'm doing better than if I were a man
I've learned how to apply mascara
And can balance in fuck me heels, look ma' no hands

things just ain't gonna be the way they used to be

We spent years wrestling this great city
It's calm, it's sedated, a breathing heaving mass
beneath our drunk and bruised bodies
We're grown up now, we're tired, graying fast

things just ain't gonna be the way they used to be

We're leaving Williamsburg, we're surrendering to hipsters
White flags to the yuppies, our backs to Bushwick Ave
The bar on the corner, our regular status, we're grifters
Last call, it's time to go home now, it's time to grow old now

things just ain't gonna be the way they used to be

No comments: