Tuesday, February 24, 2009

stalemate (half asleep draft)

i don't know what to do
with this beloved, kind man in my bed
who says he can't love me yet
because he's afraid I'll break his heart

through snot and tears
I say I don't know how long I can stay
because if he doesn't want to lay claim
he'll break my heart

i want to punch walls
i want to scream from my fire escape
i want to stare down new york city
and get out all the things i dare not say

we are supposed to be wise
we are supposed to be twice shy
I know, I know, I know

but love can't be a chartered course
it can't be planned out at desks and offices

and i can't help but shake the feeling
that if only i were someone else he hasn't met yet
that he could let go
and appreciate the difference between
tripping,
falling,
and fainting

No comments: