the ceiling today seems absurdly low
I noticed as I lay on the floor
back to the tile, breath even
and yes, that trio of lightbulbs
seem so much closer and the funhouse
slant of my tilted house I can almost
trace with fingers that before could
never reach
this carpet is thicker, somehow, undeniably
i light a cigarette, i avoid the ash
I am sinking deep into newly plush threads
on my elbows, elbow-deep in crusty soft paint
I am writing words on cardboard
I imagine that if I ever see you again
I'll hold my sign up and if you still know your name
You'll come and sit and find me and explain
you said to go slow, i didn't know how until
i had crashed and as I recovered my carcass
from the burnt and twisted wreck I recognized
the state of our affair and I ran away
I hid in shadows and re-wrote poems
I jumped on a bus and swore I'd sit in the darkness
of the country that I fear more than death
I swore I'd sit there and look into it's heart
and I'd figured out what I had to do
to keep you and find myself
you said to me that you just wished
that I liked myself more
I could only say "me too"
but now your wish has true
I've fallen back in love with myself
as I've fallen out of love with you
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment