Friday, March 27, 2009

grape jelly

do you miss me?
what if I stopped calling?
would you remember
to remember me?
I'd like to think that even
if you don't care about me
the memories matter
somewhere, on some level

you used to watch me sleep
tiny soft snores made you smile
and on those lips mine would taste
how perfectly I fit into your arms
with my head on your chest
you were the one I wrote poetry to
read on half-lit stages
heart ablaze

you were the most patient man
I've ever met
and even if you've let me go
I will never again settle for less

I just wish you'd ask how I am
ask how my sprained ankle is healing
or if I've seen more grape jelly
on cheap, chipped diner plates

you are another empty sunday morning
a burned cd, a dirty plate
you are moans in the dark
you are something I continue to reach for
even though you're gone

come back home.

No comments: